30 Ways to Market Your App
The Only List You'll Ever Need
Selah SmithJan 08, 2023 · 5 min read
Marketing an app can be a challenge, especially in a crowded marketplace. However, with a solid plan and the right tactics, you can effectively promote your app and drive downloads. Here are some tips for marketing your app:
1. Create a landing page: A landing page is a standalone web page, created specifically for the purpose of a marketing or advertising campaign. It should provide all the necessary information about your app, including screenshots, a demo video, and pricing. This landing page will give you a home base to point all marketing efforts back to.
2. Utilize social media: Social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram can be a great way to reach a wide audience and generate interest in your app. Use these channels to share updates, engage with users, and build buzz.
3. Invest in app store optimization: ASO is the process of optimizing your app's listing in the app store to improve its visibility and increase downloads. This includes optimizing your app's title, keywords, and metadata, as well as incorporating visually appealing graphics such as app screenshots and videos.
4. Consider paid advertising: Paid advertising, such as Google AdWords or Facebook Ads, can be an effective way to reach a larger audience and drive downloads. Be sure to target your ads to the right audience and test different ad creatives to find what works best. Paid advertising on social media platforms, such as Facebook Ads or Instagram Ads, can be an effective way to reach a targeted audience and drive downloads. By creating targeted ad campaigns and testing different ad creatives, you can effectively promote your app to the right people.
5. Utilize influencer marketing: Partnering with influencers in your app's niche can help you reach a larger audience and build credibility. Look for influencers with a large and engaged following, and offer them an incentive (such as a promo code or commission) to promote your app. Influencer marketing involves partnering with individuals or organizations who have a large and engaged following on social media or other online platforms. By offering an incentive or commission, you can effectively promote your app to a new audience through the influence of these individuals or organizations.
6. Encourage user reviews and ratings: Positive reviews and ratings can be a powerful way to attract new users. Encourage satisfied customers to leave reviews in the app store, and consider offering an in-app prompt to solicit feedback.
7. Use email marketing: If you have a list of email subscribers, use this channel to keep them updated on your app and its features. You can also use email marketing to promote special deals or discounts.
8. Utilize public relations: Public relations (PR) can be a valuable tool for getting your app in front of the right audience. Consider reaching out to media outlets, bloggers, and other industry influencers to get coverage for your app.
9. Host a launch event: If you have the budget and resources, consider hosting a launch event to generate buzz and attract media attention. This can be a physical event, or it can be an online event such as a webinar or virtual press conference.
10. Offer a limited-time promotion: Offering a limited-time promotion, such as a discount or special offer, can help drive downloads and encourage users to try your app. This can be especially effective when combined with other marketing efforts, such as social media promotions or email marketing campaigns.
11. Consider cross-promotion: Cross-promotion is the practice of promoting someone else's app in exchange for them promoting yours. This can be an effective way to reach a new audience and drive downloads, as long as you choose a app that is relevant to your own and has a similar target audience.
12. Utilize offline marketing: While online marketing is important, don't neglect offline channels such as print advertising, radio, or TV. These can be especially effective for reaching older demographics or targeting specific geographic areas. In addition to traditional advertising channels, consider utilizing offline promotions such as in-store displays or handouts to promote your app. This can be especially effective if you have a brick-and-mortar business or are attending a relevant trade show or event.
13. Keep track of your results: It's important to track the success of your marketing efforts so you can identify what is working and what isn't. Utilize tools such as Google Analytics or Mixpanel to track app installs, user engagement, and other important metrics. This will help you optimize your marketing strategy and get the most bang for your buck.
14. Offer in-app rewards: Offering in-app rewards or incentives can be an effective way to encourage users to engage with your app and spread the word to their friends. This could be something as simple as offering a discount or extra in-app currency for inviting friends to join, or offering a special reward for achieving a certain level in your game.
15. Localize your marketing efforts: If your app is available in multiple countries or languages, consider adapting your marketing efforts to appeal to specific markets. This may involve translating marketing materials, adapting your messaging, or targeting specific social media platforms or online communities.
16. Partner with other businesses: Partnering with complementary businesses or organizations can be a great way to reach a new audience and drive downloads. For example, if you have a fitness app, you might partner with a gym or sports store to promote your app to their customers.
17. Utilize user-generated content: Encourage users to share their experiences with your app on social media or other online platforms. This can be especially effective if you offer a contest or reward for the best user-generated content.
18. Keep your app updated: Regular updates not only improve the user experience, but they also give you an opportunity to showcase new features and functionality to your users. Consider using in-app prompts or push notifications to let users know about new updates and encourage them to download the latest version.
19. Utilize customer support: Your customer support team can be a valuable asset when it comes to marketing your app. Encourage satisfied customers to leave reviews or ratings in the app store, and consider offering a special reward or incentive for those who go above and beyond in their support of your app.
20. Collaborate with other app developers: Consider collaborating with other app developers on a joint promotion or marketing campaign. This can be an effective way to reach a new audience and cross-promote your apps to each other's user base.
21. Host offline events: In addition to hosting a launch event, consider attending or sponsoring relevant offline events such as trade shows, conferences, or meetups. This can be a great way to get your app in front of a new audience and generate buzz.
22. Create videos to use for marketing: Video can be a powerful marketing tool, especially when it comes to showcasing your app. Consider creating a demo video or other promotional video to share on social media or your website.
23. Utilize partnerships and sponsorships: Partnering with a relevant brand or sponsoring a relevant event can be a great way to get your app in front of a new audience. Look for opportunities to align your app with a brand or event that shares your target audience and values.
24. Make retargeting a priority: Retargeting involves showing ads to users who have previously visited your website or used your app. This can be an effective way to bring users back to your app and encourage them to take a specific action, such as making a purchase or completing a level in a game.
25. Utilize content marketing: Creating and sharing relevant, valuable content can be a great way to attract and retain a clearly defined audience. Consider creating a blog or other content hub on your website, and share your content on social media and other online platforms.
26. Capitalize on affiliate marketing: Affiliate marketing involves paying a commission to individuals or businesses who promote your app to their audience. This can be an effective way to reach a new audience and drive downloads, as long as you choose affiliates who are relevant to your app and have a loyal following.
27. Utilize paid search: Paid search, such as Google AdWords, can be an effective way to reach users who are actively searching for apps like yours. By targeting relevant keywords and creating compelling ad copy, you can drive qualified traffic to your app listing and increase downloads.
28. Start a referral marketing program: Referral marketing involves encouraging users to refer their friends and family to your app. This can be done through in-app prompts, social media campaigns, or other tactics. By offering an incentive or reward for successful referrals, you can effectively encourage word-of-mouth promotion of your app.
29. Take advantage of local advertising: If your app has a specific geographic target audience, consider utilizing local advertising channels such as local radio, TV, or print media. This can be an effective way to reach a targeted audience and drive downloads.
30. Market to online communities: Online communities such as forums or discussion groups can be a great way to reach a targeted audience and generate interest in your app. Look for relevant communities and engage with their members to promote your app and build buzz.
Marketing an app takes time and effort, but with the right strategies and tactics, you can effectively promote your app and drive downloads.